Soft tissue grafting is recommended when you have gum recession that has resulted in exposure of the roots of your teeth, or you are at risk of root exposure due to recession. Soft tissue grafting is a common procedure that is intended to recreate your gum line and prevent further deterioration of the gums, while enhancing your smile.
Gum recession can be caused by:
• aggressive brushing
• periodontal disease
• gum tissue that is naturally thin
• previous orthodontic treatment
• previous tooth loss
To restore proper gum level and functionality a soft tissue graft can be performed. This is done by either removing soft tissue from the roof of the mouth, or repositioning healthy gum tissue from adjacent teeth. Another option utilizes specially processed tissue from a tissue bank. The advantage of this option is that tissue from the roof of the mouth is not needed. Soft tissue grafting is very predictaable and has a high success rate.
Additional potential benefits may include:
• prevention or reduction of root sensitivity
• protection from future cavities
• symmetry in your gum line, creating an improved smile
• creation of a suitable environment for implant placement.